Thursday, 10 February 2011
Laika was going through one of her 'phases' a few months ago when she chewed a hole in the back of Mr Midnites best waterproof jacket. He has a shiny new one now thanks to the amazing sale at trespass in largs so she has been forgiven (ish).
anyway - I took the oppertunity to turn them into a pair of waterproof trousers for james. They sat in my sewing box for months - althrough the snows of december and rain and mud of january when they would have been really useful. Now I have finished then the sun has come out - not that I am complaining about that though.
Its the same basic pattern as all the other dungarees I have made over the past few months, I left the back open with cross over straps as it will usually be worn over a jumper and it is easier to get on and off as you don't have to undo them to take them off. I stitched a small piece of thick elastic between the base of the straps as it was gaping a bit. the strap fastenings were harvested off a rucksack - it has loads of straps - they cant all be useful? well hopefully not anyway. The front zip pocket was transplanted directly from the jacket - so no fussing about with the zip was required - I lined the front sction and a strip around the waist with the fleece material left over from the dressing gown. I was going to line more of it but James couldn't really move his legs so I trimmed it right back.the hem at the foot holes is elasticated on the inside to fit snugly around the wellies, I used the elastic cord from the jacket to do this, and threaded it through the jacket cuff hem ( the legs are made from the jacket sleeves)
I did take some photos on the beach but they are stuck in some dark recess of my cameras memory that i cant seem to access